Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Pink Fischbowl

Thanks to Will Richardson's tweet, I was able to attend the latter half of Daniel Pink's video-conference with Grade 9 students at Arapahoe High School in Colorado. While I thought I'd be missing out due to a previously scheduled meeting, it was my great fortune upon arrival home for lunch, to discover via Twitter, that the 8:30 a.m. (PST) meeting was still taking place upon my return... at 11:30 a.m. Eastern Standard Time!

The full story of the event including a number of related links and the live-blog of the event, are available on Karl Fisch's blog: The Fischbowl

The technology allowed an international audience to eavesdrop, but very quickly the event went from being about the technology, to being about the interactions between Pink and his highly engaged teen audience. It's amazing what can happen when right-brained educators are supported in their risk-taking!

Coupled with Clay Burell's story just twelve hours earlier, the idea of live video conferences, and the broadcast of these events, has me thinking this might soon become a normal experience for teacher and students. If you're interested in my immediate audio response to the event, I scrambled together a 5 minute Teacher 2.0 podcast over the lunch break.

0 comments: